Thursday, March 17, 2016

Ray De Luca & Logan Walker Appreciation Post - with Rachel McMillan and Melissa Tagg




Two of my VERY favorite people have fresh new novels, and there are some striking similarities.

If you follow either of them on social media (which you should, links below), you'll know that they have a lot of affection for their male protagonists. A lot. A lot of love. SO MUCH LOVE, YOU GUYS. So obviously, an interview was in order.

Hillary: Okay, clearly you both have a thing for reporters. Elaborate.



Rachel: For me, it seriously started with John Murphy from Vienna Prelude by Bodie Thoene. Before the internet and instant communication, their words informed what the public thought. They had the ability through word-smithing to influence public opinion. They’re also detectives. And I love detectives. Ray is a muckraker (a term coined by Theodore Roosevelt to refer to journalists who often went into dismal slums and conditions, institutions, prisons and the like to dig up dirt and muck). He pursues this type of journalism because he feels so strongly about social advocacy. That mission and that empathy to the lower class is a huge part of the series and he represents it so well. 

Melissa: Well, Logan is actually a former reporter turned political speechwriter, but he gets the chance to return to small-town reporting in Like Never Before. And he’s actually the second reporter I’ve written! I think the reason I love reporters is because, to me, the best ones aren’t just people who have a knack for words…but they’re people who know how to listen. Like, really listen. They sense and observe and capture and preserve humanity and all its stories. And really, that’s what I like best about Logan. Sure, he’s got a thing for the written word…but more than that, he has this way of seeing and hearing people that goes deeper…and I love him for it.


Hillary: You both have experience writing other male characters. So why do you get so five-alarm-gushy about these guys?  
Rachel: I never know what he is going to do! I try to outline and keep tabs on him, but he has really surprised me.   I also really love his tenacity.  English is his second language and he has basically mastered it –especially because he uses words to scrape a living. But he takes words a step further: wanting to write poetry, keeping a running lexicon of new and interesting words he hears in his journal. Mostly, I love that he is such an unexpected romantic lead: Jem thinks he’s handsome but I describe his features (other than his smile) as almost-handsome. He has a quirky temper and he isn’t the dashing prince that my heroine assumed would sweep her away when she was young. He can’t afford electricity and his bowler hat is a little worse for wear. Nonetheless, early readers have fallen for him!  And I am all: see! see! I get it!
Melissa: Logan is not an alpha hero. He is not the guy who swoops in with the quippy line and flirty exterior and charmingly cocky need to save the day. Nor is he kinda your typical broody hero, either. He’s just…softer. And maybe a little sadder. And because of that, he tugs on my heart…like, hard core! He has doubts, his faith is pretty foggy and he’s confused about what his life is supposed to look like when Like Never Before opens. To me, he’s just so relatable in that way. He doesn’t have these huge big epiphanies, and while he has dreams and hopes and goals, at the end of the day, he honestly, sincerely just wants to do the right thing…for himself, his family, especially his daughter. He’s just a good, good guy AND I LOVE HIM!!

Hillary: So. Hypothetically speaking, Ray/Logan takes you on a date...where do you go?  

Rachel: To a play! Or an opera!  Ray knows his way around the veins and arteries of the city: even how to sneak into its theatres.  We’d use the fire escape and settle amongst the ropes and pulleys and watch everything overhead. He’d have made a picnic of bread and lemon curd and wine and he’d find some amazing garden or moon-splattered courtyard that everyone else walks by but he has found some inner magic with.       (note for readers: I actually wouldn’t date Ray--- he was created for Jem but he is not my type. So, see: there *is* a difference between fiction and real life  ;) )

Melissa: (Unlike Rachel, I would date, marry and live a long happy life alongside Logan in a heartbeat.) Oh my gosh, he’d so totally recreate the date scene from Like Never Before—which takes place in a library after-hours. Because, I mean, dude…you sneak me into a library after-hours and you’ve pretty much earned my undying love and devotion. Another option: find a showing of His Girl Friday in a theater. No, better yet! Sneak into the library after-hours and use a projector to watch His Girl Friday on the wall. THERE! I have just crafted the most perfect date ever for myself. Real life men, please, take note…


Hillary: You can write a telegram to be delivered to Ray/Logan in their fictional world. The telegram reads: 

Rachel: I bet your poetry sounds better in your first language STOP nevertheless, I appreciate the effort STOP love, Rachel

Melissa: I will never get tired of your crooked tie STOP Never ever ever STOP love, Melissa


Hillary: Your heroine. Why is she the right girl for your hero?  
Rachel: I think the mushiest line in Bachelor Girl’s Guide to Murder is “when God made a Jem, He must have made a Ray.” On paper, they’re not suited for each other. He is a dirt poor Italian immigrant in a largely prejudice WASP society whose first loyalty is to his sister Viola and his little nephew. Jem is a well-bred lady primed for handsome suitors and social gatherings.   
But, at core they’re both hopeless romantics. They’re also both outliers who don’t really fit: Ray because he is relatively new to Toronto with no connections other than his sister, brother-in-law and nephew and in a profession that is viewed as the very lowest and Jem because she is “on the shelf”, cut off from her parents and living with Merinda Herringford as a trouser –wearing bachelor girl detective.  They both want to change the world starting with their city. Jem has the ideas Ray does but Ray has the voice and platform to do it.  I initially outlined a Police Constable interest for Jem and then I thought: no. This series is about turning expectations on its ear.  What is the suitor least likely to win the hand of a lady from a refined background?  And I got Ray. He symbolizes how her time with Merinda and her pursuit of justice has altered her ideals.
Melissa: Because she gets him out of his own head! Amelia brings out a side of Logan that’s been pretty much lost underneath his grief and overblown sense of responsibility. She gets him to think in possibilities instead of just practicalities. And really, I think more than anything, she just delights in him…she’s sorta idolized him from afar for a long time but as she actually gets to know him in Like Never Before, we see her completely and totally just delighting in him. Which, to me, is one of the happiest things in life—to delight in someone else, to know someone else delights in you--and it’s something Logan needs when his story opens.

Hillary: How is your hero similar to Melissa’s?
Rachel: Even while Logan pursues (unexpected) attachment to Amelia, he is still plagued by his past: his wife’s death and learning to raise his little daughter. Even as Ray pursues a new life in Canada, his past is always at his heels.  His abusive brother-in-law’s treatment of his sister makes it improbable for Ray to think about pursuing his own happiness. He is also devoted to his nephew, Luca, much in the same way Logan is devoted to Charlie and his own nieces and nephews.   
Logan sometimes wears a tie crookedly, Ray always has the two top buttons of his shirt collar undone (which is really quite rogue in Edwardian times).  I think a major similarity is how our heroines steal into their words.  Jem pilfers Ray’s journal to sneak into his thoughts secretly and Amelia gets Logan’s sister to send her Logan’s campaign speeches.   Logan takes the revelation that there is a second eyes on his speeches better than Ray takes to Jem having stolen his journal.   Mostly, they both sacrifice parts of themselves and their pride for the heroine’s sense of purpose. In each case, they stand on equal intellectual footing with the heroine.  They respect their heroines immensely and part of why Logan falls for Amelia and Ray falls for Jem is their strength.  (That and the fact that their heroines challenge them!)
Melissa: What Rachel said!



Hillary: Favourite moment the book?
Rachel: I find it nearly impossible to write a man who doesn’t have a sense of humor, so Ray has this sarcastic edge that I love. At one point, Ray is teasing Jem by flirting with her.  Seeing that she will melt the moment he lapses into Italian, he boasts that he has a perfect romantic line for her.  “Io ti preferisco in pantaloni” Jem has no idea what it means as he watches her drip into a puddle. But, it translates to “I prefer you in pants.”  And that, I think, summarizes the entire Jem and Ray relationship throughout the Herringford and Watts series.
Melissa: I can’t handle this question! I can’t pick a favorite! But okay, here’s one of my favorite exchanges in the book…Amelia is pestering Logan with questions about something fun he has planned. And he says…

“Again with the questions.”
“Just call me Barbara Walters.”
He wrinkled his nose. “I just kissed you, Amelia. And I’m pretty sure at some point tonight—possibly multiple points—I’d like to again. I’d rather not have the picture of you as an eighty-year-old in a pantsuit in my head when I do.”
“Fair enough.”

Hehehe…I just love it. And then what happens later in that scene….gah, it’s gooey and romancey and I will stop now…


Hillary: Only if you have to! Thanks for stopping by, you guys!
           

Seriously, check out Rachel McMillan's The Bachelor Girl's Guide to Murder, and Melissa Tagg's Like Never Before. Read them both, and check out their swoon factor!


Giveaway Embed Code:



45 comments:

  1. My favorite fictional character is Raleigh Harmon, with Patrick Bowers a close second. As you can see,I like suspense fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and the name Raleigh makes me think of Sir Walter Raleigh which just gushes with romance!

      Delete
    2. Ooh, now I'm kinda loving the thought of naming a character Raleigh.

      Delete
  2. I love that this is a fun, not-at-all-generic interview.
    Both of these books are on my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay thanks for reading, Courtney! Hope your new little one is doing well. :D

      Delete
  3. Favorite fictional character:
    is it possible to already have a crush on Beckett Walker even though I haven't properly met him?
    I do have to admit I melted many times with Ray de Luca!!
    Another character that made me swoon was Phillip from "Edenbrooke" by Julianne Donaldson :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWWWW Ray loves you, too! Phillip in Edenbrooke is AMAZING

      Delete
    2. Eeeeee a crush on Beckett, already! I love it! Beckett's kinda breaking my heart lately...poor boy has to come through a few storms before he gets his happy ending. :)

      I looooove Phillip! Love love love!

      Delete
  4. Oh, and I cannot choose just ONE favorite fictional hero...except Mr. Darcy. And I know it's cliche, but I love Jane Austen's time period, and he's my favorite. :)
    Otherwise, I usually just see the heroes fitting with the heroines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favourite Austen hero is Mr Knightley: cause I think you can take him to social gatherings and dinner parties and he would fit in :) But, I love Darcy too!

      Delete
  5. Ahhh!!! I love this blog post so much!! Melissa Tagg is one of my favorites, and I can't WAIT to get hooked on Rachel McMillan's books!! My favorite fictional hero is, hands down, Captain America!! I sound like a nerd, but it's true. ;) If we're talking about a favorite fictional hero in a BOOK, though, it's definitely Melissa Tagg's Blake Hunziker from her book "Here to Stay." I absolutely adore him!! *heart eyes* (I also adore Todd Spencer from the Christy Miller Series. It's really hard to choose just one hero!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blake!! Ahh, you're a sweetheart for mentioning him. Lately I've been wanting to go back and reread Here to Stay...which is funny because I've never sat down and reread an entire book of my own once it was in print. But for some reason, Blake keeps coming to mind these days. (Partially, I think, because the hero in the book I'm writing now has a few of Blake's qualities...)

      Delete
  6. My favorite fictional hero is Kristy Cambron's Kája from A Sparrow in Terezin.
    -Brandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cole McKenna from Submerged by Dani Pettrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh, I have to pick ONE fictional hero? Ugh... Well, the first one that pops into my mind is Eanrin from Anne Elisabeth's Tales of Goldstone Woods series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read those books, but I've heard such great things about them.

      Delete
  9. I am so excited to read Maria's
    Melissa's book! The other book sounds good also. I can't decide who my favorite fictional character is lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay I'm so glad you're excited! And yeah, I think asking people to pick just ONE fictional hero is almost unfair. There are too many good ones.

      Delete
  10. Hard to say who my favorite fictional hero is. Of course I like Mr. Darcy, I like how he falls for Lizzy despite his best efforts not to then marrying her despite the "rules". Then there is Mr. Knightly, putting Emma in her place when she was in the wrong and loving her. Can you tell I'm reading classics right now?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't decide who my favorite fictional guy hero is!
    For the longest time it was Jace Buckley from the Heart of India series by Linda Chaikin..
    I can't pick a favorite now. There is just to many. I'd have to say that my requirements are a guy who is kind, down to earth,real, and kind. Someone who has faults but is always trying to be the person the Lord wants him to be. He needs to be kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that series...I love that you included "kind" as a requirement. I love heroes who are legitimately kind...sincerely nice.

      Delete
  12. This was such a fun interview! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite fictional hero is Rhett Butler. Confident, arrogant, dangerous, but such a sucker for romance.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorite fictional hero is Mr. Darcy, although many of the books that I've read recently have had some pretty swoon-worthy heroes! Truthfully, I could about fall in love with most of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't pick a favourite! :) Often it is the book I am reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aragon, Edmond Dantes and D'Artagnan are some of my favorites fiction heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my GOSH I cannot wait to read Logan's book.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Favorite Fictional Hero - It may sound corny and technically he was real, but I pick Alamanzo Wilder from the Little House books. He drove through the long winter to bring Laura home each week. Loved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it isn't corny at all: he was a hottie and he knew how to make flapjacks AND he built Laura a pantry!

      Delete
  19. My favorite fictional hero is Gilbert Blythe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Favorite hero? Really?!! How do I even choose?? Right now, I think I'm going to have to say Bryce Bishop. I adored his character in Dee Henderson's Unspoken and how he cares for (literally) Charlotte. The love between them is so incredibly sweet, especially how he handles what she's been through. Definitely "a" favorite, though I can't really choose just one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! I love Gilbert Blythe! Also, Noah from the Notebook. I also love Samuel jazzier from Running Barefoot by Amy Harmon. It's hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mr. Knightley, definitely Mr. Knightley!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Really?! My FAVORITE fictional character?! There are so many good ones to choose from. I love Aslan. He will always be my hero.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lost of the Mohicicans. Daniel Day Lewis is my crush for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ian Taggart from Lexi Blake's Masters and Mercenaries Series :). Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I couldn't tell you who my favorite fiction hero is. There are too many of them but most are cowboys or cops.

    ReplyDelete
  27. There are so many favorite fictional heroes. So I am going back in time. Ned, always saving Nancy Drew at just the right time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the interview, I can't wait to read both books!

    ReplyDelete

Join in on the discussion!